Today, when work stress on the rise, it is quite important that individuals are able to use some tools as preventative. The separation between home and work is far less today than before due to all this technology & flexible work hours. This can add more strain to everyday life as you are never quite sure when you are at work and when you are not.
Mindfulness can reduce stress, depression & anxiety and furthermore work as preventative. In addition, it doesn’t take too much of your time on a busy day. You can even use it at the workplace itself without a huge cost.
Here are some different exercises that you can start with to become more present and thereby reduce stress:
1) Being here and now. You can start your workday with the goal of being totally present. For example, if your work requires that you document something, try to devote your entire attention to that documentation. If some thoughts come up (for example, remembering to reply to an email), you can imagine that the thought is like a car passing by quietly. You do not have to respond to the thought because you are being present in the documentation right at that moment.
2) Stop multitasking and start single-tasking. Many individuals multitask and feel that they are more productive when they do. Unfortunately, research has shown that the brain has difficulty constantly shifting focus to new tasks. Try to do one thing at a time and do that thing properly and then start the next one. This point is very much related to point 1.
3) Active listening. When talking to a colleague for any reason, try to practice listening actively to that person. Use all your senses to listen and notice how that person is talking and feeling. Use your curiosity and openness without judging.
4) Focus on your breathing. If you feel stressed or overwhelmed, try shifting your focus to your breathing. If your mind is racing and you are having a hard time quieting the mind, try saying to yourself “now I am here”. When you focus on breathing, here and now, your mind cannot be focusing on all the other tasks that you should be doing. Most stress thoughts have to do with the past or the future and if you are present you cannot be in the past or the future.
On that note, I want to mention some benefits of being more Mindful in the workplace:
– Better communication
– More productive
– Better management and stronger teams
– More robustness
– More confident about change
– More creativity
– Better in making decisions
– Less stress
Start practicing today to be as present as possible. Remember that it takes time for the brain to quiet the mind and being present. Don´t give up. Only 10 minutes a day can reduce stress & anger and in addition effects joy and motivation.
However, if you are already experiencing severe physical & mental symptoms of work stress/burnout I advise you to seek help. The sooner the better.
Contact me for more information or for booking an appointment :
Picture by Snæþór Sigurbjörn Halldórsson
15 thoughts on “Mindfulness at work can prevent work stress & anxiety”
I liked this inspirational and motivating article, which is why I
want to say how I saved my marriage and avoided divorce (maybe it will
be useful): https://bit.ly/2XvDwfB
I simply want to mention I’m new to blogging and honestly liked you’re blog site. More than likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You definitely come with impressive articles and reviews. Regards for sharing your web page.
Thanks a lot 🙂
Your article has proven useful to me. Itâ€™s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.
Right now it appears like Drupal is the best blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us, so I am looking. I really appreciate the information. I am a bookmark and will be it tweeting to my disciples! Blog design and large outstanding and style.
Love watching movies !
Pretty! This was a really wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying these details.
Best view in the town !
If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, simply pay a quick visit this web page every day since it offers feature contents, thanks
Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every day. It’s always useful to read through content from other authors and practice something from other web sites.
Hello there! This blog post couldn’t be written any better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept talking about this. I am going to send this information to him. Pretty sure he’ll have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!
Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!
Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects? Thanks a ton!